[OpenAFS] Re: Setting the BOS Server's Restart Times

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Tue, 12 Jan 2010 17:34:07 -0600

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 23:19:09 +0000
Simon Wilkinson <sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 12 Jan 2010, at 23:12, Gary Gatling wrote:
>
> > Thanks a lot for all the replys. Its sounds like we don't need to
> > be restarting afs every week since we are using a modern (1.4.11)
> > release of afs.
>
> I suspect that we should probably change the default bos
> configuration, and the installation instructions so that restarts
> are disabled for 1.6

Just as a note... on db servers lacking some kind of automated restart
capability, it is currently possible to rollover the 32-bit signed int
for ubik transaction IDs, which causes trouble.

Probably not an argument against changing the default (only happens on
the largest cells with very long dbserver uptimes), but just noting that
sometimes they do have value.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net