[OpenAFS] Spooky /afs mounts

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Wed, 13 Jan 2010 15:27:32 +0000

On 13 Jan 2010, at 15:02, Eric Chris Garrison wrote:

> When I start the openafs client on one RHEL 4 server, it seems to
> ignore
> what's in the CellServDB file, doesn't mount the standard list of
> sites
> and our local one too.  It shows under /afs our local cell, a cell
> that
> hasn't existed in a couple of years, and a test cell that's not
> running.

There are two configurations that afsd can run in. The first is that
it dynamically generates the contents of /afs (either from the DNS, or
from your CelLServDB file). The second is that it looks for a volume
called root.afs in the local cell (the one specified by 'ThisCell').
This behaviour is controlled by the
-dynroot flag. Because using root.afs requires that the network is
present when AFS starts, it has fallen out of favour in recent years.

It sounds like your machine with the spooky mounts doesn't have -
dynroot in its afsd options, and so is mounting root.afs, which has
(by the sounds of it) bitrotted over the years.

Cheers,

Simon.