[OpenAFS] Localized (non en_US version) of 1.5.68 for Windows available?

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Fri, 15 Jan 2010 10:19:17 +0000

On 15 Jan 2010, at 10:12, Holger Rauch wrote:

> Ok, but what if I just want to install an OpenAFS Windows *client*
> machine? Is the OpenAFS SMB Server still required then or would it
> only be required if I want to use a Windows machine as an OpenAFS
> *server*?

The SMB server is required for a client. The current OpenAFS
implementation for Windows is, in effect, a bridge between AFS and
SMB. Your machine thinks it is accessing a SMB filesystem located at \
\AFS\, and the OpenAFS SMB server on your client takes those SMB
requests, and translates them into AFS operations which it sends out
to the network.

Work is in progress on a native AFS for Windows, which will remove
many of the pitfalls of this approach.

S.