[OpenAFS] Caveats of having AFS cache on a shared ext3 partition in Linux?

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Fri, 29 Jan 2010 19:56:40 -0500

Hi Everyone,

I know this is bad practice to have the AFS cache folder on a shared
partition with the rest of the system, but what are the caveats of
having the AFS be on an ext3 filesystem in Linux, which is shared by the
rest of the system? I mean, besides filling the partition that AFS uses
for caching. Should the 5% root reserved percentage help with that?

I'm using RHEL5.4 with the 1.4.11 openafs RPMs from openafs.org.

The background to this is I'l be deploying a university computer lab
full of Apple 21.5" iMacs running Linux as the sole OS. I need to set a
firmware password, but the Mac will not boot a /boot+LVM partition
layout with a firmware password, but it will boot  with a password when
I only have one partition. Things boot fine when no firmware password is
set :(

Any help orinsights are appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason