[OpenAFS] file ownership for root (UID 0)

Todd M Lewis todd_lewis@unc.edu
Tue, 12 Jan 2010 07:36:32 -0500

On 01/12/2010 02:50 AM, "Karl Ti=DFner" sent:
>>> Since it is not possible to create an user with AFS UID "0", all file=
>>> created by root are not owned by root (Debian Linux, root has UID 0):
>>>
>>> # pts createuser -name testtest -id 0
>>> 0 isn't a valid user id; aborting
>>>
>>> What is the standard way to handle this problem?
>>
>> By declaring it not a problem, but desired behavior. Root is a local i=
d,
>> not a network id. A member of system:administrators can chown existing
>> files to root, but that's as close as you're going to get I think.
>=20
> That's not really a satisfying solution. I'm forced to use the root acc=
ount, since I chroot into an AFS directory, which is the root directory o=
n a server using AFS mounted clients (for network boot). Files created by=
 root should be owned by root immediately.

I'd feel more pressed to help find a satisfying solution if I were
convinced there was really problem. What specific root owned file needs
are you running into?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but you haven't presented a compelling use
case. Convince me.

> How do others handle this? I really can not imagine, that I am the only=
 one using such a configuration.

AFS isn't a Swiss Army hammer, and this may be an application that it's
not particularly well suited for. It's quite a bit different from local
file systems, and it may not meet all the needs of your chrooted
environment. Or perhaps it just doesn't meet some common conventions that
aren't really requirements. Either way, it seems an interesting problem t=
me. I'd like to know more about the issues you're trying to deal with.
--=20
  / Todd_Lewis@unc.edu  919-445-9302  http://www.unc.edu/~utoddl /
 /           Santa's helpers are subordinate clauses.           /