[OpenAFS] CellServDB

Mattias Pantzare pantzer@ludd.ltu.se
Fri, 18 Jun 2010 20:18:10 +0200

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 20:03, Phillip Moore <w.phillip.moore@gmail.com> wr=
ote:
> This is a *classic* case of blaming the wrong software product for a
> problem.
> It's not the CellServDB that's not user friendly, it's the software produ=
ct
> making stupid, incorrect assumptions about the filesystem.

In this case it is both the software that is stupid and the
filesystem. The software is not the only problem with the way things
are now.

> Would you accuse DNS of being broken it some brain-dead software product
> wasn't "user friendly" just because it enumerated the entire root and .co=
> zones? =A0 I admit that not as trivial to do by accident as ls -al */*, b=
ut
> the point is that what's broken here is that software product, NOT DNS, o=
> AFS, or it's CellServDB file.

> I would argue that any software product that makes an assumption like thi=
> will never be user friendly in an environment with distributed filesystem=
s.
> =A0If you were using an automounter of some kind with NFS, you might have=
> similar issue, although AFS certainly compounds the problem by giving you
> access to remote cells over the Internet.

/net for NFS works just like AFS does when the CellServeDB is empty.
Sites appear when someone tries to access them. Very user friendly
when you are dealing with big number of sites.

If AFS would suddenly get popular and everybody started to add their
sites to CellServeDB you would have a problem just by listing /afs.