[OpenAFS] Re: Speed up pts actions

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Sat, 20 Nov 2010 20:08:07 -0500

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Felix Frank
<Felix.Frank@alumni.tu-berlin.de> wrote:

>> I don't think that it is very important to make the change actions faster
>> in pts even if it would be nice. I can imagine that there are other stuff
>> that are way more interesting... maybe an LDAP based PTS/VLDB ;-)
>
> Hi,
>
> this is a likely thought that is uttered once in a while.
>
> Last time it was discussed, it appeared to be an accepted fact that adding
> an LDAP backend to PTS is not simple, because there are some interactions
> rather deep inside the ptserver that have been tuned to be lightning fast,
> and if you loose that speed (because you need to talk to the LDAP server
> process), AFS grinds to abysmal speeds.

A caching frontend to LDAP that serves PTS would obviate that.
Persistent search cursors could be used to
update that cached data, thus maintaining the speed of the
optimization, as long as your LDAP server
is able to maintain enough search cursors for the resident data.

--
Derrick