[OpenAFS] Overview? Linux filesystem choices

Ted Creedon tcreedon@easystreet.net
Wed, 29 Sep 2010 08:58:05 -0700

--001485e812d8e5ea1e04916806a5

OpenSuSe has software raid as an option when formatting a disk

I prefer the Adaptec RAID controllers because they have a web interface for
admin and checking and since /usr/vice and /usr/afs are on the raid system I
just move the controller and drives to a new motherboard

tedc

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Harald Barth <haba@kth.se> wrote:

> Currently our AFS servers are on Linux and XFS. We were thinking of
> moving to OpenSolaris or Solaris and ZFS. But as things are now, these
> options either have a very unsecure future or a very hefty pricetag.
> For us, the name change of the company did result in a doubling of
> prices, something that we did not pay but took another solution. I am
> still searching for a good software raid solution. Any experiences
> with ZFS on FreeBSD out there? Other suggestions?
>
> Harald.

--001485e812d8e5ea1e04916806a5

OpenSuSe has software raid as an option when formatting a disk<br><br>I pre=
fer the Adaptec RAID controllers because they have a web interface for admi=
n and checking and since /usr/vice and /usr/afs are on the raid system I ju=
st move the controller and drives to a new motherboard<br>
 Harald Barth <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:haba@kth.se">haba@kth=
gin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-=
left: 1ex;">
Currently our AFS servers are on Linux and XFS. We were thinking of<br>
moving to OpenSolaris or Solaris and ZFS. But as things are now, these<br>
options either have a very unsecure future or a very hefty pricetag.<br>
For us, the name change of the company did result in a doubling of<br>
prices, something that we did not pay but took another solution. I am<br>
still searching for a good software raid solution. Any experiences<br>
with ZFS on FreeBSD out there? Other suggestions?<br>
Harald.<br>