[OpenAFS] RHEL/OpenAFS as VMware ESXi guest

Dan Pritts danno@internet2.edu
Mon, 4 Apr 2011 16:25:45 -0400

I have zero issues running RHEL as a vmware guest.  I mostly use RHEL =
kernels. =20

I happen to be running ESX but I have every reason to believe ESXi will =
behave similarly.

I recommend you use the yum-repo based method to install vmware tools, =
rather than
using the vmware console to do it.  This is described here:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/osp_install_guide.pdf

However, this is only tangential; either way will work fine with AFS.

On Apr 3, 2011, at 6:31 PM, Thomas Smith wrote:

>=20
> On Apr 3, 2011, at 15:18, Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:
>=20
>> Thomas Smith <theitsmith@gmail.com> writes:
>>=20
>>> I'm currently running RHEL 5 Xen and am considering switching to =
VMware
>>> ESXi 4.
>>=20
>>> Has anyone on the list used these together and, if so, were any =
issues
>>> were experienced? Since both OpenAFS and VMware Tools insert modules
>>> into the kernel, I am concerned that one might break the other.
>>=20
>> We have a bunch of VMware guests and have never had any trouble.  =
We've
>> never tried installing OpenAFS on the ESXi host, though.  (I wasn't =
sure
>> from your question whether you were considering that, or just looking =
at
>> the guests.)
>=20
> Thanks for the reply Russ.
>=20
> I am looking at running OpenAFS as a guest, not on the host.

danno
--
Dan Pritts, Sr. Systems Engineer
Internet2