[OpenAFS] OpenAFS running on CentOS vs. Scientific Linux

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Wed, 1 Jun 2011 13:34:23 +0200

On 31 May 2011, at 20:01, "Dvorkin, Asya" <dvorkias@umdnj.edu> wrote:

> Currently, we are running our cell on CentOS, but looking into possibly mo=
ving towards Scientific Linux.
>=20
> Would love to hear your opinions and recommendations.

Being binary rebuilds of the same upstream source distribution, there are a l=
ot of similarities between CentOS and SL. In the past, Cent OS were slightly=
 quicker off the mark with new releases, and had fewer of the 64bit build de=
pendency problems than SL. Recently, though, SL managed to get version 6 out=
 of the door much faster than Cent OS, and their builds seem pretty solid.

One thing I would warn about, however, is that SL ship their own openafs RPM=
s. These are significantly different from the RPMs shipped by openafs.org, h=
aving their own pathnames, configuration files and startup scripts. At some p=
oint we would really like to reconverge, but nobody has had the time to writ=
e the compatibility goo that is required. In the meantime, you should bear i=
n mind that some of the documentation you read on the web may not apply to t=
he SL RPMs.

S.