[OpenAFS] Re: sysname for 3.x linux kernel

Magnus Danielson magnus@rubidium.dyndns.org
Thu, 08 Mar 2012 23:47:19 +0100

On 03/08/2012 11:33 PM, Dan Scott wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 17:00, Andrew Deason<adeason@sinenomine.net>  wrote:
>> On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 14:42:48 -0700
>> Ken Dreyer<ktdreyer@ktdreyer.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Would it be feasible to make this change effective in a major version
>>> release, say, OpenAFS 2.0? Speaking as a user of OpenAFS, the list of
>>> things that must be manually configured has such a high learning curve
>>> to newbies that choosing a useful, modern default would be great.
>>
>> Well, two things:
>>
>> You as an end user don't need to tweak this; $arch_linux26 works. I'm
>> not sure at this point what problem you're trying to solve...?
>
> The problem (for me) is that I have to create new directories/symlinks
> every time the distro has a new minor kernel version upgrade. But, as
> has already been pointed out, it seems that this is an addition by
> RPMFusion.
>
> I'd probably vote for having an amd64_linux default, but having the
> 3.x kernels use amd64_linux26 (or amd64_linux26) would be fine too.

amd64_linux should be a OK default in my mind.

For packaged distributions like Debian, wrapping code into packages and
install them onto the machines, possibly with a local package database
in AFS, is more likely a good approach, as you would get the packaged
dependencies sorted out.

Cheers,
Magnus