[OpenAFS] Re: Change in volume status during vos dump in OpenAFS 1.6.x

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 13 Mar 2013 14:12:40 -0500

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 14:53:16 -0400 (EDT)
Andy Malato <andym@oak.njit.edu> wrote:

> We were of the understanding that there was a 2TB limit on partitions
> with 1.4.x which is not the case in 1.6.x.

There is no such specific limitation. There are some bugs in 1.4 for
"large" volumes in general, but not around the 2TB mark specifically.
And there is a problem with space reporting for volumes and partitions
larger than 2TB, but they still work (except when you try to write to
them via a modern Windows client).

All of those I consider just plain bugs; while the fixes for many are
only on 1.6, that's just because there hasn't been a 1.4 release in a
long time; it's not an architectural limitation that was lifted in 1.6.
The fixes I'm thinking of would be easy to apply to a 1.4 server.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net