[OpenAFS] ZFS-on-Linux on production fileservers?

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Sat, 05 Oct 2013 17:35:16 -0400

On 10/05/2013 04:13 PM, Coy Hile wrote:
> Along the same lines, is anybody using any of the Illumos distributions?  Personally, I'm working on rolling my own SmartOS build that has the AFS kernel module installed so that VMs could be AFS fileservers or clients. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but the AFS kernel module is required only for the clients and the fileservers, right? If I host is only an AFS dbserver, it has no requirement for the kernel module to be loaded, does it?
>
> -c

Only the client needs the kernel module. The file servers and db servers
do not need the kernel module.

That said, you'll need an AFS client for running some admin commands,
but that can be done from a separate machine from the
fileserver/dbserver. For example, setting access rights on folders
requires an AFS client.

Jason