[OpenAFS] fileserver process eat CPU

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@openafs.org
Tue, 10 Sep 2013 10:09:27 -0400

On 9/10/2013 1:57 AM, Jean-Marc Choulet wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have a question about the fileserver process. On our server openafs
> (Debian squeeze), the fileserver process eats 80% CPU every 5 seconds.
> No AFS clientis connected to the server
> We restarted our server but it is always the same.
>
> Any idea ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jean-Michel

The primary consumer of CPU in the fileserver process is the rx listener
thread which must read and process every packet that is received on port
7000/udp regardless of whether or not the packets are AFS related.
This is a single thread and can if presented enough network traffic
consume a full processor core.  How many processor cores are on this
system?   How much network traffic is there?

In the absence of network traffic a file server process should be
relatively idle.  Without client connections there won't be callbacks or
host entries to manage.

Jeffrey Altman