[OpenAFS] OSX, unicode filenames, finder

Christian chanlists@googlemail.com
Sun, 05 Jan 2014 23:31:17 +0100

Dear all,

while trying to help our OSX users, I have come across the following issue:

When a filename created under linux or windows contains letters with
diacritics (German, in my case), the finder will briefly display
something and then show the entire folder as empty. From the shell,
everything works OK. I understand that this must be due to the Unicode
NFC vs. NFD issue with the finder mentioned e. g. in the windows client
release notes:

http://www.openafs.org/dl/openafs/1.7.28/winxp/ReleaseNotes/html/index.html#chap_3.html#d6e125

How do other people deal with this? I am not a MacOS expert in any way,
but I thought about recommending some other file manager to my users, so
they can at least rename files with diacritics to the "ue", "oe", "ae"
or whatever form and then access them... Can anybody recommend an
alternative filemanager or some other workaround?

Any help is appreciated... Happy new year 2014,

Christian