[OpenAFS] any experiences with OpenAFS client on the upcoming MacOS 10.10 (yosemite) release?

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Mon, 20 Oct 2014 15:40:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 20 Oct 2014, Mattias Pantzare wrote:

> I have tried to compile 1.6.10 on OS X 10.10.
>
> The first problem is that it will not compile with xcode 5 or 6. I have not
> checked if there is a way to change the compiler to gcc on xcode 6, so it
> might be possible (the command gcc starts c-lang).

The git master compiles just fine with xcode 6 on my Mavericks machine, so
if there are build failures, they are probably just small patches that
need to be merged from the master branch to the 1.6 branch.  (I don't
think you can get "real" gcc from xcode 6 or higher.)

> 10.10 requires all kernel extensions to be signed. They ship a list of
> hashes for old kernel extensions, that is why some versions of openafs will
> work on an upgraded system. But new openafs versions have to be signed.

Some individual or organization will need to step forward to do that
signing; I do not believe that there is an "OpenAFS" organization
currently able or prepared to do so.  (Perhaps the Foundation could, but I
am not sure.)  The Windows installers that OpenAFS distributes are signed
by Secure Endpoints or YFSI (I forget which), who have graciously been
using their codesigning certificates for this purpose.  I do not know if
they will be willing to perform the same service for OS X installers.

-Ben