[OpenAFS] Re: Minor question on moving AFS db servers

Jan Iven jan.iven@cern.ch
Thu, 30 Oct 2014 20:30:40 +0100

On 10/30/2014 10:13 AM, Harald Barth wrote:

>> I just mention this because I don't think there's any way to avoid this
>> one. Other userspace "clients" will not notice because they are
>> short-lived processes, but anything that's long running, we don't have a
>> way to notify of CellServDB changes.
>
> The usespace clients could leave "hints" (for example in a file) that
> a cell has a bad DB server and then future userspace clients could do
> something "intelligent" with the hints.

Well, if "fs getserverpref -vlservers" could be told to only return
answers for a given cell, the client userspace commands could use that
(of course, via API call) as a way to query the (longer-term) knowledge
of the client. If the AFS client is not running on that host, they'd
just fall back to using CellServDB directly, as now.
I don't think something similar exists for the PTS database, though.

Cheers
jan