[OpenAFS-port-darwin] 1.2.10 and patches?

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn@uni-koeln.de
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 10:20:05 +0200

Hi,

thanks for the reply.

--On Samstag, 23. August 2003 21:47 Uhr -0700 Alexei Kosut=20
<akosut@cs.stanford.edu> wrote:

> On Thursday, August 21, 2003, at 3:37 AM, Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:
>>> 	give up on waiting for apple to get things right, which probably
>>> 	means they never will.
>>
>> This has probably been discussed in the past, but what exactly does
>> Apple not get right?
>
> The Mac OS X high-level APIs use stat() to examine access rights for
> files and directories.  It trusts this data, and uses it to determine the
> user interface.  For example, if a directory is mode 0, the Finder will
> show a lock icon on it, and will not let you open it, even though AFS
> will still let you open the directory if you have the proper rights in
> the ACL.

OK, I understand that. But what would be the alternative? How do other OS's =

deal with this issue? Should and do they actually try to read or write a=20
file instead of relying on stat()? Doesn't this incur a severe performance=20
penalty?

Greetings, Sebastian Hagedorn
--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - RZKR-R1 (Geb=E4ude 52), Zimmer 18
Zentrum f=FCr angewandte Informatik - Universit=E4tsweiter Service RRZK