[AFS3-std] Re: Standardization of the AFS3 protocol

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 12:08:46 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006, Jeffrey Altman wrote:

> If RX was to be documented, the intention would be to publish the
> specification as an IETF Informational RFC.

As multiple documents, I think.  One describing the UDP-based transport
later, another the session layer, and a third for the RPC layer (the last
in terms of XDR, which is already an IETF protocol).  Plus one for each
security class, and one for RXTCP, when that is mature enough.

Jeff, it is worth noting that the IETF's way of publishing protocol
specifications is not the only way.  There is nothing that says we can't
write all of our protocol specs in, say, MacWrite and put those documents
up on grand.central.org (one of whose purposes has always been to publish
AFS protocol documentation, if anyone ever wrote any).  However, given the
people who are and have been actively involved in AFS protocol work, it is
much more likely that we'll want to do something sane, like develop
documents in the form of I-D's and then publish them either as RFC's or
independently.

It is probably also worth documenting the .xg language, so that RPC-layer
protocols can be documented partially in the form of definitions written
in that language.