[AFS3-std] Standardization of GetCapabilties RPCs for AFS3 client and services

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sat, 25 Feb 2006 23:42:59 -0500 (EST)

>> if you can't understand why not, then we have an unbridgeable
>> gulf.
>
> What you are actually saying is "If you don't already understand and agree
> with my position, then you must be broken, and I'm not even going to bother

Other people have explained. You're not obtuse, so I assumed you simply
chose not to believe them.

> trying".  This attitude is not conducive to successful consensus building.
> How can you possibly we know we have an unbridgeable gulf when you haven't
> even made an attempt to find out how far apart we are?
>
> Before I can make any more substantive comments on this issue, I need to try
> to understand the problem Jeff is actually trying to solve.  It would be very
> helpful if he and/or you could explain what scenario you are trying to solve,
> and why this is the right way to solve it.  It would also help if you would
> just explain your position, instead of making oblique references to unrelated
> issues and expecting us to guess what analogy you're trying to draw.

He wants servers to be able to hint to clients how they'd like those
clients to behave. It sounds too simple because it's simple. If you can
read my hint and honor it life will be better. Enable encryption and I'll
let you read stuff. Disable encryption and this 386 fileserver will suck
less. You can choose to ignore the hints. You may not like the result, or
you may not care, but if yiou can read the hint and choose to honor it,
you can plaster a smile on your face and everything will be good.