[AFS3-std] Proposal: Extension of RXAFS_SetLock to support LockUpgrade and LockDowngrade

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Mon, 27 Feb 2006 13:54:21 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

> I'll buy this argument, at least in some cases.  However, I think we need
> to make it clear that a server MUST NOT change its capability
> advertisements except across a restart; that is, an event in which it
> throws away all callbacks, lock state, rx connections, and state related
> to client identities and callbacks.  The same goes for the set of RPC's a
> server supports, which is essentially a special type of capability (hm).

Well, on the plus side the fast fileserver restart work which has been
contributed does the right thing, thankfully, because if the server binary
is changing, it won't preserve state.

> Given this requirement, a server that starts to support lock upgrades can
> do so only across a restart, in which case it has forgotten the lock
> anyway.

Correct.