[AFS3-std] Proposal: Extension of RXAFS_SetLock to support LockUpgrade and LockDowngrade

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 13:36:19 -0500

On Monday, February 27, 2006 01:46:18 PM -0500 Jeffrey Altman
<jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:

> Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
>
>> Capability bits are cheap as long as we don't have very many.
>> When we start to get large numbers of them, carrying them all may become
>> expensive.
>
> We have over 6000 capability bits per service transfered by the
> GetCapability RPC.   Which expense are you concerned about?

The 6000'th bit is considerably more expensive than the first, because when
we're using only the early bits, we don't have to transport the later ones.
Note that the capability vector is a counted vector, not an array.

-- Jeff