[AFS3-std] Standardization of GetCapabilties RPCs for AFS3 client and services

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:13:22 -0500

>That's a good question.  In a properly functioning network, a TCP timeout
>will likely mean we can't get traffic to/from that host at all, and we
>should just return a timeout to the application after a full TCP timeout.
>The realities of broken firewalls mean we probably need to try falling back
>to a UDP connection first.  And of course, this doesn't happen when the
>connection is created but when the application tries to make the first
>call, or possibly a later call.  So we may need to do this dance on each
>call, at least until the first time we hear something from the server.

Ah, reality rears it's ugly head again.  I had to abandon the whole
"lazy connection" stuff ... the current RxTCP implementation starts a
TCP connection when an Rx connection is created.  I tried really hard
to make it work like the UDP stuff, but it made the code EXTREMELEY
complicated, and it never worked quite right.

--Ken