[AFS3-std] Locking, ACL's, and Capabilities

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Fri Jul 21 17:01:46 EDT 2006

Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> writes:

> Discussion revealed that ideally, we'd like for the bit to be able to be
> set distinctly for every directory, by the same users who can set the
> ACL for that directory.  However, this is difficult to do, requiring
> changes to both the protocol and the format of the large vnode index.
> It also has the issue that it's an awful lot of bits to set for sites
> where ACL's have traditionally been sane.

This is perhaps a dumb idea, precisely because these bits already exist
and may already be used for other things, but AFS *does* have the
application ACL bits A-H.  Using one of them for this purpose would break
the existing semantics, though (which say that they have no meaning to AFS
server processes).  I don't have a good feeling on how many sites actually
use them for something now, only that I've never seen them mentioned in
the context of actually being used in any of the public mailing list
traffic about AFS I've read.