[AFS3-std] File Server/Cache Manager Extended Status Information

Tom Keiser tkeiser@gmail.com
Sun, 6 Apr 2008 18:49:42 -0400

On 4/6/08, Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:
> Matt Benjamin wrote:
>
> > File Server/Cache Manager Extended Status Information

[snip]
> > 2. the client has registered an interest in receiving extended
> > notifications
> >
> > Proc RangeInvalidateCallBack
> >
> > This RPC communicates a vector of file changes, of byte-range
> > granularity, for a corresponding vector of CallBacks.
> >
> > proc RangeInvalidateCallBack {
> > ~  IN  AFSCBFids *Fids_Array,
> > ~  AFSRangeCallbackSeq *CallBacks_Array
> > } multi = 65539;
> >

>  Why is there a range of byte range changes?  A StoreData operation
>  does not take a list of independent commits.  Each StoreData will
>  result in a BreakCallBack().

Coalescing several quasi-simultaneous stores into a single callback
break rpc sounds like a natural optimization to me.  Furthermore, this
would simplify any future implementation of a vectorized store rpc,
compound rpcs (a la nfs4), etc.

-Tom