[AFS3-std] advisory "open"/"close" RPC?

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Tue, 15 Apr 2008 16:23:14 -0400

--On Tuesday, April 15, 2008 02:29:21 PM -0400 Jeffrey Altman
<jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:

> Matthew Andrews wrote:
>> Do you suppose that something like this could be used to acquire a key
>> that could be used to access the file untill the corresponding close
>> call? I'm thinking about something that could be used to implement
>> writebehind behavior safely(the cachemanager could continue to flush
>> out changes to the server even after the users tokens expire.)?
>>
>> -Matt Andrews

> RX connections do not have to expire when the token expires.

rxkad servers periodically send new challenges, and the client must have
valid unexpired tokens in order to be able to successfully respond to such
a challenge.  So yes, within some delta, rx connections expire when the
tokens expire.  The fact that you cannot access your AFS data once your
tokens expire is not a cache manager implementation artifact; it is a
design feature of the protocol.

-- Jeff