[AFS3-std] AFS Standardization Proposal

Simon Wilkinson simon@sxw.org.uk
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 09:00:50 +0100

Sorry, I've been a bit busy with work, and have let moving this
forwards slide. I believe that we have (so far) identified 3 issues,
which I'l discuss in turn below. It would be good to reach some kind
of consensus on the portions of these that are outstanding.

*) Copyright

Jeff has suggested some copyright boilerplate language to include at
the head of all standardisation documents - there have been no issues
raised with this, and so I intend to update the document to include
this language unless anyone shouts.

*) Defining the Electorate

There have been a number of proposals for changes to the way in which
the electorate is defined. There seem to be two separate issues - the
first is whether we place some kind of eligibility hurdle in the way,
and the second is how we handle 'dead' email addresses, so that the
total size of the electorate doesn't grow without bound (which is
important in order to handle the recall case).

Personally, I believe that establishing any kind of competence hurdle
is going to be extremely difficult to manage. I'd be interested in
proposals of exactly how such a hurdle could be defined without
introducing a significant level of subjectivity to the electoral
process. Without a competence definition that avoids the need to make
subjective decisions, my personal view is that we can't introduce an
eligibility requirement.

Managing dead email addresses seems best performed through mailman's
standard mechanisms. Deleting all accounts which don't reply to
email, or bounce email on a certain data runs the risk of
disenfranchising users due to technical problems outside their control.

*) The home of the registrar (and the standards list)

There are two options here - either leaving things as they are at
grand.central.org, or moving them to systems which are hosted by the
OpenAFS foundation, in whatever form that takes. It's very difficult
to judge this at present, without knowing what the foundation can
provide. In my opinion we should remove the language about where
these functions are hosted from the document at present, and discuss
further when the foundation has come into being.

Comments and arguments greatly appreciated ...

Simon.