[AFS3-std] AFS Standardisation

David Boyes dboyes@sinenomine.net
Thu, 21 Aug 2008 21:48:50 -0400

> If you want an IETF AFS Next Generation WG you
> will need to
> first hold a BOF that puts forth a formal charter of work items that the
> WG is intended
> to accomplish.

I guess I expect that *any* useful working group would do this, including
this one. How else do you determine a) whether you're making progress, and
b) whether you're done?

> One of the pre-reqs for the BOF is going to be
> documentation of the
> existing Rx and AFS protocols.  We don't have such documentation.

Rather the point of the exercise, isn't it?

> We
> will also have
> to show where the resources are going to come from to perform the work
> necessary
> to complete the WG Charter.

Tell ya what, Jeff -- let's split the cost of doing a proper job of this
between us. You fund half, I fund half. I have a competent tech writer in
mind. Deal?

> At the present time the IETF and AFS are not a particular good fit.

Then we can agree to disagree on this point. I can see your arguments, but I
don't agree that they are both necessary and sufficient to refute the
possibility of other ways of thinking about this.

I think there's a lot to be learned from the mistakes of the past if we
choose to do so. We have ample example of the possible mistakes in terms of
process and transparency in the existing standards bodies.  There's no
reason for this group of people to have to make the same mistakes again.

In any case, I would say that Simon's draft is (IMHO) sufficient for field
test and public discussion. That's the next step in any case.

-- db