[AFS3-std] Second Draft of Standardisation Document: Registrars

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 29 Aug 2008 15:43:57 -0400

--On Friday, August 29, 2008 03:37:19 PM -0400 Steven Jenkins
<steven.jenkins@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> wrote:
>> Why, particularly with the rules you've described?  If the registrars are
>> self-selecting, then I don't think we need to specify that they do so at
>> specific times.  It's also not clear to me that the group needs the
>> power to recall individual registrars, given that it doesn't have the
>> power to appoint them.
>>

> From section 2.3.2:
>
> This combination of roles makes it difficult for a single individual
>    to serve as registrar.  Instead, it is proposed to expand the role of
>    registrar to include a number of individuals from the community This
>    group of people would include the current registrar, the current
>    standardisation group chairs, and a number of private individuals.
>    The registrars may determine that set of individuals themselves -
>    appointing additional registrars as required.
>

> Note the last sentence -- the registrars explicitly have the power to
> appoint new registrars.

Sorry; I meant it's not clear that the _standardization group_ needs the
power to recall individual registrars, given that that group doesn't have
the power to appoint them (only the existing registrars do).

We may be talking past each other, but if so, I think it will resolve in a
couple more round trips.