[AFS3-std] AFS Standardization Proposal

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:44:01 -0400

--On Sunday, July 20, 2008 05:02:13 PM -0500 "Christopher D. Clausen"
<cclausen@acm.org> wrote:

> Simon Wilkinson <simon@sxw.org.uk> wrote:
>>> Why not simply require voters to be on the list some period of time
>>> before any vote actually occurs?  Like a month?  Or two months?  Or
>>> one week preceding the first announcement about the vote?
>>
>> That's there already ...
>>    Eligibility to vote is determined by membership of the
>>    standardisation group on the 1st of July of the appropriate year.
>>
>> (Elections take place in late August)
>
> The above sounds sufficient to me.  What was the previous poster worried
> about?  A large number of people joining the list two months ahead of
> time in order to vote?

Yes, in part, but if the group doesn't think vote-packing is a big enough
problem to worry about, I'll drop it.  However, there's also the reverse
problem -- people may be reading through archive or gateway services,
instead of being subscribed directly, and we shouldn't disenfranchise those
people.

Having a single "magic date" also concerns me; what if for some reason you
are not subscribed on that date?  A time range works better, IMHO.

-- Jeff