[AFS3-std] Options for AFS Standardisation

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 24 Jul 2008 08:52:07 -0700

Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> writes:

> Full Copyright Statement
>
>   Copyright (C) <author(s)> (year).
>
>   By submitting this Internet-Draft, I accept the provisions of
>   Section 4 of BCP 78.
>
>   In addition, by submitting this Internet-Draft, to the extent that
>   this Internet-Draft or any portionthereof is protected by copyright
>   and other rights of authorship, the Contributor, and each named
>   co-Contributor, and the organization he or she represents or is
>   sponsored by (if any) grant a perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive,
>   royalty-free, world-wide right and license to any and all persons
>   under all intellectual property rights in this Internet-Draft:
>
>   (A) to copy, publish, display, and distribute this Internet-Draft,
>
>   (B) to prepare or allow the preparation of translations of this
>       Internet-Draft into languages other than English,
>
>   (C) to prepare and distribute derivative works (other than
>       translations) that are based on or incorporate all or part of
>       this Internet-Draft, or comment upon it, the license to such
>       derivative works not granting to any party any more rights than
>       the license to this Internet-Draft,
>
>   (D) to reproduce any trademarks, service marks, or trade names
>       which are included in this Internet-Draft solely in connection
>       with the reproduction, distribution, or publication of this
>       Internet-Draft and derivative works thereof as permitted by
>       this paragraph and/or by section 4 of BCP 78, and
>
>   (E) to extract, copy, publish, display, distribute, modify, and
>       incorporate into other works, for any purpose, any executable
>       code or code fragments that are included in this Internet-Draft,
>       it being understood that the licenses granted under this
>       paragraph (E) shall not be deemed to grant any right under any
>       patent, patent application, or other similar intellectual property
>       right disclosed by me under XXX.
>
>   This document and the information contained herein are provided on an
>   "AS IS" basis and THE CONTRIBUTOR, THE ORGANIZATION HE/SHE REPRESENTS
>   OR IS SPONSORED BY (IF ANY), THE INTERNET SOCIETY, THE IETF TRUST,
>   AND THE INTERNET ENGINEERING TASK FORCE DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES,
>   EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT
>   THE USE OF THE INFORMATION HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY
>   IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
>   PURPOSE.

This is great.  I am completely happy with this license.

> The new text is taken primarily from BCP 78 section 4.2, with some
> modifications, except for paragraph (E), which is adapted from the same
> paragraph in section 3.3.  BCP 78 does not require this permission be
> granted for non-IETF documents, but I believe that it is important,
> especially for documents which are likely to include full or partial .xg
> files.

It's mostly covered already by C, but I don't think it hurts to restate
it explicitly using the language used by the IETF.

> I expect that the first application of our process will be to publish
> whatever ends up being the final form of Simon's document, which will
> effectively become our charter.  Clearly this charter will need to
> detail exactly what is required of submitted documents, including exact
> boilerplate text in those cases where it cannot be incorporated by
> reference from another source (such as BCP 78).
>
> I think that rather than requring all of the text I quote above to be
> included in every document, it would be beneficial for the charter to
> include a section similar to BCP 78 section 4, detailing exactly what
> additional rights are granted, such that submitted documents can simply
> refer to it just as they refer to BCP 78.

Yup, that sounds fine to me.

Thank you very much for the proposal of detailed text.  That was better
than anything I could have come up with.