[AFS3-std] AFS Standardization Proposal

Simon Wilkinson simon@sxw.org.uk
Thu, 24 Jul 2008 20:55:54 +0100

On 24 Jul 2008, at 19:46, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

>> Steve "just establishing my participation quota" Simmons
>
> Under my original proposal, you're not, because this is a meta-
> discussion, not a technical one.

And therein lies the problem, as far as I can see. Someone has to
determine what counts as a 'contribution'. That ends up with that
person wielding a lot of power. Given the chairs don't have anyone
above them (remember, we're by design not part of the OpenAFS
Foundation for management purposes), it's hard to see where an appeal
against abuse that power would go (other than to a recall, but the
success or failure of that is very dependent on the list of available
voters too) Personally, I'd rather minimise as far as possible
subjectivity in the voting procedure.

There is, however, one flaw with the 'list member for x weeks'
eligibility - when we do recalls, the required number of votes is
based on the total list membership. We need to ensure that broken
email addresses are regularly culled from the list.

S.