[AFS3-std] AFS Standardization Proposal

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:16:22 -0400

--On Friday, July 25, 2008 11:48:36 AM -0400 Jeffrey Altman
<jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:

> The discussion on gaming the system is a rat-hole.

Maybe, but I think it is important to have a better (less drastic) remedy
to a bad decision made by a chair than to recall the chair.

> We are not a large
> enough community for this to have significant meaning to us.  If we end
> up with 100 individuals subscribed to this list I will be shocked.

Current subscribership includes mail-archive.com, gmane, and 67 individuals.

> I am a bit concerned about systems such as Nabble.  We do not want to
> permit the Nabble service to be used to send a vote and individuals who
> read via Nabble will not have a vote.  I believe it is reasonable to
> require a personal subscription to the list if one wants to be considered
> a voting eligible participant.

I don't think nabble or archive services should get a vote.  I also don't
think people who are subscribed twice should get two votes.  But there are
plenty of people who read via archive services or local exploders without
ever being actually subscribed, and I'm not convinced we should
disenfranchise them.

Particularly, I believe voting should be a right of active participants,
not subscribed email addresses.  Put another way, the subscription list is
configurating of the mailing list software, used to control how and where
the messages are routed.  It may not be the best approach to overload it to
have other meaning which would require it have contents different from what
is required for its primary purpose.

One possible compromise would be to use the union of the subscription list
on a given date and the list of people who have posted in some time period
prior to that date.

> If we can't send an e-mail to you based upon the registered address on
> the specified date, then you can't vote.

No, absolutely not.  That is equivalent to saying "if your mail system
happens to be broken on the specified date, then you can't vote".  If
you're going to use the subscription list as part or all of the list of
voters, then use it as-is, and let the mailing list software take care of
removing stale entries.

-- Jeff