[AFS3-std] Callback Extended Information Draft 4

Matt Benjamin matt@linuxbox.com
Wed, 14 May 2008 14:38:20 -0400

Actually, Derrick has convinced me we should be able to rather
seamlessly add new types to the union.  Certainly handwritten routines
calling XDR_decode should have no difficulty dealing with an unknown
event type--which we should define as equivalent to a traditional
callback, I would think?

Matt

Matt Benjamin wrote:
| Jeffrey Altman wrote:
| | Matt Benjamin wrote:
| |> This draft fixes typographic errors, and adds server-identifying
| |> information to the ExtendedCallback procedure.  (The subject of an
| |> extension proposal to be submitted by Derrick Brashear.)
| |>
| |> Thanks,
| |>
| |> Matt
| |>
| | The draft looks good on a first read.  Well done.
| |

| Thanks, Jeff.  Thanks for the constructive feedback on earlier drafts.

| |
| | One important question that came up as I was reading it is how will
| | extensibility for new callback event types be handled?
| | Jeffrey Altman
| |

| I will think some more about extensibility.  I am working on a document
| which adds 2 new callback event types, which is very clean, but I didn't
| need to add a new variant structure, which I don't have a plan for, yet.
| ~ I like the explicitness of this, but maybe we need a provision for
| things we didn't think of, as well.
|
| Matt

- --

Matt Benjamin