[AFS3-std] updated extended callback draft

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 29 Oct 2008 14:27:46 -0400

--On Tuesday, October 28, 2008 02:09:27 PM -0400 Derrick Brashear
<shadow@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 10:35 AM, Steven Jenkins
> <steven.jenkins@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 2:15 PM, Matt Benjamin <matt@linuxbox.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Nb., recent reviewers, I've left the names of AFSCB_Cancel_LostMyMind
>>> and AFSCB_Cancel_IHateYou as previously defined, by request of the
>>> author.
>>>

>> I suggest that we change those two names as follows:
>>
>> AFSCB_Cancel_LostMyMind to AFSCB_Cancel_OutOfCallbacks
>> AFSCB_Cancel_IHateYou to AFSCB_Cancel_RevokedByAdmin
>
> I disagree. The names accurately and adequately display intent and are
> never visible to users anyway, only
> to implementors.

I don't think so.  "lost my mind" does not adequately convey "I'm out of
stoage for callbacks, so I'm revoking some".

I have to agree with Steve here; these names may never be seen by end
users, but they will be seen by developers and by admins trying to
troubleshoot problems.  I'd rather see names that are boring but actually
descriptive than have cutsey names and be scratching my head 10 years from
now thinking "WTF does the server mean it lost its mind?".

-- Jeff