[AFS3-std] Port numbers for AFS+OSD

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Tue, 28 Jul 2009 03:46:16 -0700

Felix Frank <Felix.Frank@Desy.de> writes:

> The additional ports used for the current RxOSD implementation are 7011
> for the rxosd server and 7012 for the OSDDB database server. These are
> inherited from the now obsolete MR-AFS branch. Historically, RxOSD and
> MR-AFS would even coexist in the same cell.
>
> Sadly, these ports are no longer available for registration with IANA. I
> suggest to use them anyway, as they are (via MR-AFS) historically linked
> to AFS and fit intuitively with the other ports used by AFS (which is a
> convenience bonus for network administrators). A request to IANA would
> likely yield obscure ports that won't be as easily recognized as part of
> AFS.

A request to IANA would result in getting 7016 and 7017 so far as I can
tell.  (Or something else if you wanted something else, but those seem
like the most reasonable choices.)  You can generally ask IANA for the
port numbers that you want.

I think it would be better to register new port numbers unless there's a
substantial backward-compatibility benefit for existing installations to
reusing the current port numbers.  I don't have a good feel of the
combined current RxOSD and MR-AFS installation base, though.