[AFS3-std] RxOSD claim on 2 structure members

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Fri, 12 Jun 2009 18:54:08 -0700

Steve Simmons <scs@umich.edu> writes:

> I kind of like having two types of fields - some reserved, to be used
> for officially blessed things as we're discussing, and some
> specifically designated for local use. In this particular case there
> may not be enough fields/bytes to allow this, but we should at least
> keep the idea in mind.

Other protocols have had bad experiences with this, often because it's
extremely difficult to tell in advance whether something you want to do
is going to be only a local change and then you end up wanting to
standardize things in the local use area.  I don't know if we'd be able
to pull it off.

There's some predecent in the additional ACL bits.  I'm not sure in
which direction that example is an argument, though.