[AFS3-std] Request for a capability bit for RxOSD

Simon Wilkinson simon@sxw.org.uk
Fri, 19 Jun 2009 09:50:32 +0100

On 18 Jun 2009, at 10:05, Felix Frank wrote:

> Bottom line is that OSD does and will function without any
> capability bit. What I hope to achieve is greater acceptance by
> potential users, smaller reluctance from the AFS community to
> approve use of reserved/unused protocol fields and for OpenAFS, more
> thorough code segregation of RxOSD (again, in the interest of user
> acceptance).

My view is that it isn't acceptable for OpenAFS to ship code which
hijacks fields that have historical conflicts, regardless of whether
the use of those fields is protected by capability bits or not. The
correct approach here is to make new RPCs to suit RxOSD's requirements
- and it's there that energy should be directed.

I believe that we have a mechanism for doing this, and for doing so in
a timely fashion. If you believe that new RPCs won't solve your
problems, then please let us know that, rather than devising
additional ways to shoehorn your requirements into the existing
structures.

Cheers,

Simon.