[AFS3-std] Re: [RPC Request] 64-bit volume IDs, quotas, and block usages

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Mon, 22 Jun 2009 11:35:02 -0400

--0016364ed6501fc0a5046cf19e3a

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net>wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 00:28:48 -0400
> Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Backwards compatibility should not be a barrier to deploying new
> > RPCs. It should be a barrier to allowing the addition space to be
> > used in environments which do not wish to break said compatibility.
> > The least common denominator should not be allowed to hold back sites
> > wanting or needing more.
> >
> > For sites that cannot change clients, disallowing consumption of IDs
> > beyond the current limit is an easy answer. If I want to use more,
> > and am willing to, for my site, do the upgrades or make some volumes
> > unusable to old clients, I don't see why I should be restrained from
> > doing so.
>
> This was my intention when submitting this. I did not have a plan or
> scheme in mind for backwards compatibility; if a site wants to support
> legacy clients, I imagined they would simply not use volume IDs above
> the 32-bit barrier. Implementations would/should have some kind of
> administrative switch that administrators would explicitly have to turn
> on to enable them.
>
> I'd also like to note that the simple 32->64 conversion isn't the only
> way to do this. I've been told there's at least one other proposal in
> the works for extending the volume ID-space which conflicts with what I
> wrote. I'll see if I can help get it on this list soon.

If said proposal is only useful for snapshots (additional volumes in a
group, with timestamp differentiation, or that ilk, which I've proposed
before) it doesn't solve the issue of people legitimately needing more than
2^32 volumes.

--
Derrick

--0016364ed6501fc0a5046cf19e3a

 Deason <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:adeason@sinenomine.net">ade=
te" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt=
 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
Derrick Brashear &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:shadow@gmail.com">shadow@gmail.com</=
a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; Backwards compatibility should not be a barrier to deploying new<br>
&gt; RPCs. It should be a barrier to allowing the addition space to be<br>
&gt; used in environments which do not wish to break said compatibility.<br=

&gt; The least common denominator should not be allowed to hold back sites<=
br>
&gt; wanting or needing more.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; For sites that cannot change clients, disallowing consumption of IDs<b=
r>
&gt; beyond the current limit is an easy answer. If I want to use more,<br>
&gt; and am willing to, for my site, do the upgrades or make some volumes<b=
r>
&gt; unusable to old clients, I don&#39;t see why I should be restrained fr=
om<br>
&gt; doing so.<br>
br>
scheme in mind for backwards compatibility; if a site wants to support<br>
legacy clients, I imagined they would simply not use volume IDs above<br>
the 32-bit barrier. Implementations would/should have some kind of<br>
administrative switch that administrators would explicitly have to turn<br>
on to enable them.<br>
I&#39;d also like to note that the simple 32-&gt;64 conversion isn&#39;t th=
e only<br>
way to do this. I&#39;ve been told there&#39;s at least one other proposal =
in<br>
the works for extending the volume ID-space which conflicts with what I<br>
wrote. I&#39;ll see if I can help get it on this list soon.<br></blockquote=
 in a group, with timestamp differentiation, or that ilk, which I&#39;ve pr=
oposed before) it doesn&#39;t solve the issue of people legitimately needin=
g more than 2^32 volumes. <br>

--0016364ed6501fc0a5046cf19e3a--