[AFS3-std] Request for a capability bit for RxOSD

Felix Frank Felix.Frank@Desy.de
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 09:12:30 +0200

>> - Are there any security implications, particularly when capabilities
>> are unauthenticated?
>
> I have no response to this. I don't see how such information can impact
> security at all.

The recent discussions concerning file ACLs cleared that point up to me.

And no, no security issues whatsoever. Clients are provided with rxosd
"credentials" only if the fileserver has determined proper access rights
to the file in question. An attacker who feigns the capability on a
client will receive only data he is entitled to, anyway (or he will not
if he does not have the proper access rights).

A server that feigns rxosd capabilities might (depending on the client
implementation) confuse a client because the server will not serve at
least one OSD-specific RPC that the client expects. Current
implementations handle that case though (they have no capabilities to
rely on in the first place).

Regards
  - Felix