[AFS3-std] Status of protocol drafts?

Simon Wilkinson simon@sxw.org.uk
Thu, 5 Nov 2009 11:27:25 +0000

On 5 Nov 2009, at 01:27, Jason Edgecombe wrote:
>     AFS Callback Extensions
>     http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-benjamin-extendedcallbackinfo-00.txt

We need to decide whether we're going to wait for the RPC refresh
changes before publishing extended callbacks. My belief is that that's
the only factor currently delaying this document. The question here,
essentially, is whether anyone would deploy extended callbacks before
deploying updated RPCs. To date, nobody has said they would do so.

>     DNS SRV Resource Records for AFS
>     http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-allbery-afs-srv-records-01.txt

I think this is pretty much done from our perspective. In this draft's
case, I think it's perfectly fair to get it published through the
IETF, as an individual submission, given it updates a protocol element
(AFSDB records) that are already specified in an RFC.

We have two problems that are delaying this, and other initiatives:

The first is that there has been no movement since last year on
establishing a clearer footing for the work done on this list. The
draft I published suggests that the g.c.o registrars bootstrap the
process, but so far they haven't had sufficient time to do so. At some
point, if they remain unable to get it off the ground, we're going to
have to come up with another mechanism.

There is also a general issue about how to publish the wider set of
AFS protocol documents - the current proposal is that they go through
the independent submission stream, and eventually appear as RFCs. To
date, I don't think we've approached anyone with regards to this plan,
and the whole RFC publishing processing is going through significant
change at present. We need to resolve this before things like extended
callbacks can move forwards.

> Are Derrick and Tom's proposals under consideration?
>
> http://www.dementia.org/~shadow/draft-brashear-afs3-pts-extended-names-00.html
>  <http://www.dementia.org/%7Eshadow/draft-brashear-afs3-pts-extended-names-00.html
> >

> http://openafs.sinenomine.net/~tkeiser/draft-tkeiser-rxrpc-sec-clear-00.html
>  <http://openafs.sinenomine.net/%7Etkeiser/draft-tkeiser-rxrpc-sec-clear-00.html

They're under consideration, sure. They're both documentation of work
that was discussed at Edinburgh. However they've both been so recently
published that I doubt anyone has read or digested them yet.

Hope that helps!

Simon.