[AFS3-std] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] Hackathon Summary

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Sun, 22 Nov 2009 21:27:24 -0500

--On Friday, October 09, 2009 03:12:14 PM +0100 Simon Wilkinson
<sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> We will rename 'ResidencyMask' to 'DataAccessProtocol' in a revised
> version of FetchStatus.

Where by "rename", you mean get rid of the old field, and add a new one,
with a different name and completely different semantics, and not ever try
to claim they are the same field.  Right? Right?

> SRV records
> -----------
>
> Use them to replace AFSDB - standardise supporting for vlserver and
> ptserver _afs3-vlserver._udp.<cellname>, SRV priority matches to rank,
> weight should be used as input to the server selection randomisation
> function.
>
> Jeffrey will write a short I-D describing how AFS uses SRV records.

This is something which probably has an IETF component, since AFSDB is
defined in an IETF document.

> The conclusion was to use afs3-stds, but make a
> deliberate attempt to reach out to those people who we know are using RX
> in other applications.

This sounds like the right approach to me.  AFS is not the only user of Rx,
but it is certainly the largest user, and it seems unlikely that anyone
else is in a position to standardize it or wishes to do so.

-- Jeff