[AFS3-std] Request for new fields in rx_statistics

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Wed, 30 Sep 2009 17:17:00 -0400

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Michael Meffie <mmeffie@sinenomine.net> wr=
ote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to propose a change to the rx_statistics
> structure which is returned in RX debug packets. The proposed
> change would append two integers to the rx_statistics to
> report the number of ack packets that have been delayed due to
> excessive aborts (rx throttling). =A0(See the fileserver
> --abortthreshold option and related rx code.)
>

> =A0struct rx_statistics { =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 /* General rx statistics */
> =A0 =A0 int packetRequests; =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0/* Number of p=
acket allocation
> requests */
> =A0 =A0 int receivePktAllocFailures;
> =A0 =A0 int sendPktAllocFailures;
> =A0 =A0 int specialPktAllocFailures;
> ...etc...
> =A0 =A0 int receiveCbufPktAllocFailures;
> =A0 =A0 int sendCbufPktAllocFailures;
> =A0 =A0 int nBusies;
> - =A0 =A0int spares[4];
> + =A0 =A0int delayedConnAbortsSent; =A0/* Number of delayed connection ab=
orts sent
> (throttling) */
> + =A0 =A0int delayedCallAbortsSent; =A0/* Number of delayed call aborts s=
ent
> (throttling) */
> + =A0 =A0int spares[2];
> =A0};
>
> The number of spares is reduced to 2 integers by this change,
> but since this is not an RX call, but rather the payload of an
> rx debug packet, I believe addtional integers could be added
> up to the limit imposed on the packet size.
>
> In terms of the standardization process, it seems this would
> best live in an updated rx-specification. The draft document
> by Nickolai Zeldovich only refers to the file rx/rx.h for the
> contents of the rx debug packet. =A0See the section "Debugging"
> in http://web.mit.edu/kolya/afs/rx/rx-spec.

I'm not sure that's the best practice for doing so, though for this an
I-D is probably too heavyweight. Regardless of how we decide we'd like
to document this, I am in favor of this proposal.

--=20
Derrick