[AFS3-std] AFS3-Standardization Charter

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Tue, 03 Aug 2010 16:15:19 -0400

On July 7, 2010, I issued a consensus call, on behalf of the registrars,
to determine whether there is sufficient community consensus to begin
formalizing the AFS protocol standards process as described in Simon
Wilkinson's proposed charter, draft-wilkinson-afs3-standardisation-00.txt.
Our goal was not to formally adopt a final charter, which is a decision
not within the registrars' power to make.  Rather, it was to discover
whether there existed the consensus necessary to begin an election.

I am pleased to report that the registrars agree that such a consensus
does exist.  We received comments in support of Simon's proposal from
a significant number of participants (listed below), and no comments in
opposition.  Several individuals made comments on specific points in the
proposal, also detailed below.  However, none of these comments related
specifically to the organizational structure or the elections process,
and so we do not believe any of them prevents us moving forward with
election of the first chairs.  The specific comments raised were these:

- Tom Keiser says the IPR boilerplate needs to be updated.
- Andrew Deason asks about a process for changing the process.
- Andrew also asked whether RFC-Editor had been consulted.
- Marcus Watts wanted the ability to include pictures in documents.
- Marcus also raised an issue about when code points should be assigned.
- Marcus also wanted to reopen the IPR boilerplate discussion.

As formal development and adoption of its own charter will be one of
the new group's first tasks, I encourage participants to consider and
discuss these issues.

As a result of this determination, the registrars believe we are now
ready to begin the elections process.  Shortly I will be sending out
a message to that end, detailing the election timeline, listing the
eligible voters, and calling for nominations.

The following individuals sent comments supporting the proposal:

  Gary Buhrmaster <gtb@slac.stanford.edu>
  Alf Wachsmann <alfw@slac.stanford.edu>
  Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com>
  Steven Jenkins <steven.jenkins@gmail.com>