[AFS3-std] Re: Revised PTS authentication name mapping draft, call for review

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Thu, 26 Aug 2010 12:55:59 -0400

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> wrote:
> What I offer as an alternative is that mechanism-specific knowledge about
> the format of raw-krb5 be confined to the implementations of those rx
> security classes which use it; namely, rxkad and rxk5. =A0These will alre=
ady
> require changes to support what I hope will end up being a common,
> class-independent API to allow server application code to obtain the
> client's authentication name, to be used in place of rxkad_GetServerInfo.=
 At
> least rxkad will already require code changes to report a krb5 principal
> name as a single string, rather than performing the lossy krb5-to-krb4 na=
me
> conversion it does today. =A0All I propose is that instead of merely retu=
rning
> a string, it return an opaque name in the same form as would be used by
> gss-krb5.

Then this begs the question: how do you support a mixed environment of
old (current) and new (revised) rxkad fileservers without creating
additional confusion due to names being represented differently?

--=20
Derrick