[AFS3-std] Using Gerrit for draft review

Simon Wilkinson simon@sxw.org.uk
Tue, 7 Dec 2010 20:32:49 +0000

On 7 Dec 2010, at 19:14, Jeffrey Altman wrote:

> Is this something the group would like to try?

I think there are two issues

The first is document format. If we're interested in reviewing
differences between revisions of documents, then we would need to
agree on a single, structured, submission format such as XML. This is
different from that used by the I-D archive, and would penalise those
who aren't prepared to go through the trauma of xml2rfc. Gerrit
wouldn't be able to handle plain text.

The second is whether gerrit is actually a good place to have wide
ranging design discussions. Our experience with the OpenAFS gerrit
suggests that there is a point where these kinds of conversations
become unmanageable in gerrit, and have to migrate to email. This
means that you end up with your history in two places, something I
think would be a hinderance when it comes to writing protocol documents.

Cheers,

Simon.