[AFS3-std] Re: A call for consensus on draft-brashear-afs3-pts-extended-names-07

Simon Wilkinson simon@sxw.org.uk
Fri, 17 Dec 2010 17:59:15 +0000

On 17 Dec 2010, at 16:21, Douglas E. Engert wrote:

> The consensus call time period has ended. We have 10 responses with
> ready to proceed. But Andrew Deason has brought up one issue
> on "Implicit fallback mapping".
>=20
> Jeffrey Altman has asked about "wildcards patterns in mappings".
>=20
> The "Implicit fallback mapping" might be easily resolved with a few
> words added to the document, and we could proceed with adoption.
>=20
> The "wildcards patterns in mappings" might need a lot more, =
discussion,
> as I personally can think of these side issue:

My feeling is that both of these comments concern implementation =
specific issues. In addition, I think they've been raised very late. The =
mapping language has existed within this document since the first draft, =
originally published in April of this year. There have been numerous =
calls for review on this list since then.

My belief is that Last Call should be a place for those who feel that =
earlier remarks have been ignored to raise their grievances, and for =
those who have only just reviewed the document to raise major concerns. =
I'm not convinced that they're an appropriate location for these kinds =
of minor issues which should have been raised much earlier in the =
process.

Otherwise, why should anyone bother reading a document before Last Call?

Cheers,

Simon.