[AFS3-std] Re: RPC refresh updates?

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Mon, 01 Feb 2010 15:03:00 -0500

--On Monday, February 01, 2010 05:39:17 PM +0100 Christof Hanke
<christof.hanke@rzg.mpg.de> wrote:

> Am Montag, 1. Februar 2010 17:21:12 schrieb Andrew Deason:
>> On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 17:07:03 +0100
>>
>> Christof Hanke <christof.hanke@rzg.mpg.de> wrote:
>> > Sadly, the same quota-fields are required for the fileserver  in
>> > ( struct VolumeStatus  and two others) as well, where we have no
>> > TLV-RFC yet.
>>
>> Do we really want to continue duplicating AFSVol volume information in
>> RXAFS? If we keep doing this, any change to volume info get/set looks
>> like it will need to be done twice, and I don't really see why we need
>> it in RXAFS...

> I believe the reason for this is that the openafs-binary "fs" should talk
> to  the fileserver only, and "fs listquota" is a pretty popular command.
> Unless we find some kind of common interface-definition shared between
> fileserver and volserver, the answer is "yes", I'm afraid.

Actually, in OpenAFS, it's the CM that talks to the fileserver.  "fs" just
makes system calls.

But yes, the theory is that the only interfaces that have to be provided to
filesystem clients for things to work correctly are VL and RXAFS.  Only
servers and administrative clients (including those usable directly by
users, like "pts") should need to talk to services like PR or AFSVol or
know which dbserver is coordinator.

-- Jeff