[AFS3-std] Adding VL_WhoAmI

Simon Wilkinson simon@sxw.org.uk
Sat, 6 Feb 2010 16:25:11 +0100

Hi,

Just wondering how people would feel about adding VL_WhoAmI

I'm encountering a number of situations where I would like the cache =
manager to be able to obtain  the vice ID associated with a given set of =
credentials in a secure manner. Sadly, just passing the vice ID in from =
user space (as we do currently with rxkad) isn't particularly elegant, =
doesn't scale to alternative token types, and is vulnerable to use =
spoofing.=20

The main use case that I'm considering for this at present is for =
reconstructing ACLs in disconnected mode following a reboot, but I =
suspect that there are other applications. It will also make it easier =
to print meaningful debug messages about token ownership.

I suspect this will end up looking like a cut down version of the =
PR_WhoAmI RPC that Jeffrey proposed back in 2007 - we literally only =
need the viced in this situation. I don't want to directly use =
PR_WhoAmI, as it would add a dependency between cache manager and =
ptserver that doesn't currently exist.

Thoughts?

Simon.