[AFS3-std] Adding VL_WhoAmI

Simon Wilkinson simon@sxw.org.uk
Sun, 7 Feb 2010 10:09:21 +0100

On 7 Feb 2010, at 03:05, Chaskiel Grundman wrote:

>=20
>=20
> On Sat, 6 Feb 2010, Derrick Brashear wrote:
>=20
>> On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Chaskiel Grundman =
<cg2v@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>>> 1) Why not RXAFS_WhoAmI? why make the vlserver call the ptserver?
>>> 2) CM's do not interpret ACLs. Clients know their access rights =
because they
>>> are part of the FetchStatus response.
>>=20
>> In disconnected you want to ideally enforce what will be enforced in =
>> replay later to give the best service to the client, but:
> I understand that. Why not cache the CallerAccess or dump the existing =
axscache (converting pag numbers to something else - hashes of ticket =
contents perhaps)? Is it because you want to be able to have a user who =
never stat'd a file before going offline be able to write to it?

Not currently, no. I have no intention of getting the cache manager into =
the business of ACL parsing and enforcement - it just doesn't have =
enough information to be able to make those decisions.

My specific goal here is to handle the case where a machine is powered =
down whilst disconnected. I want to be able to provide the ability for a =
user to access data using the same set of access rights as they had =
before they disconnected. For this, I have the axscache information =
that's stored in each vcache, but that is currently keyed by PAG number =
- the mappings for which will have disappeared when the machine powered =
down. My intention was to map PAGs to viceIds, and to store viceIDs with =
access information on shutdown. Upon power up of a disconnected machine, =
a super user would then say 'become this viceId', and gain that set of =
access permissions.

Simon.